Global Recycle Standard (GRS) certifies products obtained from recycled materials and manufacturing activities.
It valorises the products realised with recycled materials, in observance of the environmental and social criteria applicable to all the production chain phases.
What is certified
The Global Recycle Standard (GRS) is promoted by Textile Exchange, one of the most important non-profit organisations promoting responsible and sustainable development in the textile sector at international level.
With this standard, Textile Exchange acknowledges the crucial importance of recycling for the growth of a sustainable production and consumption model; it aims at encouraging the reduction of resources consumption (virgin raw materials, water, and energy) and increasing the quality of the recycled products.
The GRS includes the issuing of a verified environmental declaration by a third party that attests:
– The content of recycled materials of their products (both intermediate and finished)
– The compliance with the environmental and social criteria in all sectors of the production chain.
All the products that are composed of at least 20% pre-consumer and post-consumer recycling materials can be GRS certified.
The criteria of the GRS are extended to the following areas:
– Composition of the product and content of recycled materials
– Maintaining traceability throughout the entire production process
– Restrictions on the use of chemical products.
– Compliance with the relevant environmental criteria which may concern: water supply; waste water discharge; and water discharges; energy recovery (use of selected waste); pollutant emissions into the air; waste production and management; soil and groundwater contamination; management of hazardous substances, preparations, and materials; noise emissions; emergency management
– Respect of social criteria relating to workers’ rights.